[standards-jig] thoughts on a new idle protocol

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Sun Jan 18 19:41:55 UTC 2004

Dudley Carr wrote:
> Most people think of idle time as the time since the person
> last moved the mouse or typed in their IM application. IMO,
> a more sensible approach is to measure idle time starting
> when the last away presence stanza was sent (automatically or
> manually).
	Personally, I think that idle should be an indication of what
the person has been up to -- not what the machine serving that person
may or may not have done recently. Thus, I would not support your
interpretation of idle... Nonetheless, the Pubsub protocol can
accommodate both...
	If we say that there are different "styles" of idleness, then
you can interpret this as a question of PubSub subscription
configuration. For instance, define two styles:
	1. PersonPresent
	2. TimeSinceLastAway
	Then, provide a subscription configuration option that allows
the subscriber to select which of the two styles they are interested
in.

	Roughly: (In the following, we ask for both kinds of "idle"
message to be sent):
<iq type="set"
    from="sub1 at foo.com/home"
    to="pubsub.jabber.org"
    id="options2">
  <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub">
    <options node="generic/idle-monitor" jid="sub1 at foo.com">
        <x xmlns="jabber:x:data">
          <field var="FORM_TYPE" type="hidden">

<value>http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#subscribe_options</value>
          </field>
          <field var="idle-style" type="list-multi">
            <value>PersonPresent</value>
            <value>TimeSinceLastAway</value>
          </field>
        </x>