[standards-jig] thoughts on a new idle protocol

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sun Jan 18 21:29:02 UTC 2004

On Sunday 18 January 2004 12:48 pm, Dudley Carr wrote:
> The PubSub solution is a fine one, but it seems to me that you can already
> figure out all the idle information from received presence stanzas.

>From what I can tell, it is only possible to determine how long it has been
since the user has last changed status.  Since there is no standard value for
"auto-away" timers, knowing when someone has changed to auto-status does not
give you an accurate idle time value.  In other words, the true idle time
would be [time of last status] + [user's auto-status timer value].

Granted, a person's auto-status timer will likely have a reasonable value, so
the longer they are away (or 'idle'), the less that value actually matters
(what is 10 minutes on a person gone for 2 hours?).

-Justin