[standards-jig] JEP-0025

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue Jan 20 02:37:18 UTC 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 12:22 pm, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> So it seems that we need to clearly define:
>
> 1. The target audiences

It seems that we have two target audiences here.

1) Those that are working with XML-streams, and want to leverage them in an
HTTP Polling scenario.

2) Those that are working with HTTP & XML, and wish to utilize non-persistant
XMPP.

> 2. The needs of each

Each audience wants essentially the same thing, and that's XMPP over HTTP.
The only real difference in functionality desired between the two groups is
the way security is conducted.  The first group would naturally prefer to use
existing xmpp-core security.  The second group would be content with HTTPS.

I think that if JEP-25 is going to be replaced, we need to establish why it
should be replaced.  Judging by the discussion so far, it seems that the
rationale for JEP-124 is to provide an easier way for the second group to
implement XMPP over HTTP, not that there is any particular deficiency in
JEP-25.  This is not a good enough reason to replace the JEP, in my opinion,
especially if all it would do is reverse the situation (second group happy,
first group not happy).

As an aside, it is interesting to note that JEP-25 is useful for applications
beyond XMPP, as it simply provides a generic bytestream over HTTP.
Considering this kind of technology is already pursued outside of the JSF
(just google for 'http tunnel' to see other products), perhaps the JSF is not
the appropriate place to maintain such a spec.

> But JEP-0025 does require someone to write a server-side piece, no? No
> mere Jabber/XMPP server accepts client HTTP connections out of the box.

Right, JEP-25 code has to be written, but it can simply act as a proxy to the
Jabber server.  I believe this is how most available JEP-25 server stuff
works.  jabberd is never modified.  The proxy doesn't even have to run on the
same host, which is nice if you want JEP-25 access to a server that is not
providing it.

-Justin