[standards-jig] VoIP, JEP-0065 and UDP?

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Fri Jan 23 22:36:07 UTC 2004

Hi Krzysztof!

Krzysztof Szyntar schrieb am 2004-01-23 12:15:27:
> The "real" SOCKS5 serwer supports "UDP ASSOCIATE" command and is
> capable of handling UDP datagrams.

SOCKS5 has still a TCP connection on the local side of the SOCKS proxy.
If your connection to the JEP-proxy is TCP and your application works
with that, I guess you should be able to transfer the entire protocol on
TCP.

I don't say, that audio/video should be done over TCP ... no, I really
advise everyone to use UDP for that. But I guess a JEP-proxy supporting
UDP on the remote side and TCP on the local side won't help you in this
case either.

I guess it was on this list where it has been discussed how to pass NAT
with UDP packets.

(As UDP is connectionless, you won't get any benefit by using a proxy
that speaks UDP on both sides, you would just have the case where you
directly communicate with someone else using UDP.)

<a-little-bit-joking>
... yes ... NAT is horrible and only neccessary because there are far to
few IPv4 addresses. Why can't the internet just kick IPv4 and only use
protocols with at least 2^128 addresses (e.g. IPv6) ...
</a-little-bit-joking>

Tot kijk
    Matthias