[Standards-JIG] XMPP bandwidth compression

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Thu Jul 1 08:28:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 09:46:24AM +0200, Fabrice Desré - France Telecom R&D/MAPS/AST wrote:
> Ralph Meijer wrote:
>
> >>This is just not true. You cant have a dynamic table-based compression
> >>scheme for XML that is not schema aware. Look at Fast Infoset for
> >>instance
> >>(http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/xml/fastinfoset/)
> >

> >So, essentially just like gzip.
>
>  Did you really read it ? I don't think... Being not schema aware
> doesn't mean that you don't take advantage of the fact that you are
> dealing only with XML docs. And the processing requirements of gzip are
> sometimes too high for some devices.

I did glance on it, and since gzip also uses table based lookups, but then
based on character strings, I am wondering if using Fast Infoset actually gives
better compression. About the processing requirements, for servers this is no
problem at all. I don't think that devices with very limited processing
power *that can parse XML*, wouldn't be able to handle gzip for the amount
of traffic that can be expected in such devices.

On the other hand, you probably have more detailed knowledge as FT-er. I am
curious if I make any sense.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm