[Standards-JIG] avatars

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Jul 1 20:06:27 UTC 2004

For doing avatars I would suggest that it uses pubsub, and I would suggest
that it consists of two different pubsub nodes, the first primary node
simply publishing the file hash of the avatar graphic, possibly including
the file mime type and dimensions along with a reference to the second
pubsub node which would be a BASE64 encoded copy of the avatar image data,
this means that you only need to download the avatar graphics once and that
when the avatar changes you do not get the avatar graphic data forced on you
when you may already have it, often on MSN I find that people either use the
standard avatars, or switch between a small selection of custom avatars they
have depending on their mood, so only being alerted to which avatar you want
to display rather than having the avatar data re-pushed to you when it
changes will be highly benefical.

Richard