AW: [Standards-JIG] avatars

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Fri Jul 2 10:39:38 UTC 2004

Good morning,

> >We should create a general protocol for getting data objects with the
> >- in-band (plain and base64 encoding)
> >

> We have JEP-0047.
> Why do you insist on creating another IBB protocol?
> I really would not like to write another ibb_block module to
> my jabber
> server.

That's a misunderstanding. I don't want another in-band protocol. I
would like to harmonize all those methods to get data objects. I was not
proposing new protocol elements. They where just examples. JEP-0047
would be part of the solution. What I am complaining is that there are
multiple applications (avatar, XHTML, I am sure there are more) which
need to fetch data objects. They will support different sub-sets of
methods (in-band, sipub, OOB, etc.).

Even the same method might be coded differently in different
applications. Example: the avatar protocol uses an <avatar/> wrapper.
XHTML uses <obj/>. JEP-0047 uses <data/>. While you can argue, that they
are only ascii-constants, they are a symptom for the diverse ways to get
data objects.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf