[Standards-JIG] XMPP bandwidth compression

Jean-Louis Seguineau/EXC/ENG jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com
Sat Jul 3 16:47:55 UTC 2004

+1

IMHO this bodes perfectly with the way XMPP is shaping up at the IETF. This
goes along the lines of the idea I had using a trigger similar to STARTLS.

Although the explanations provided in this thread are all very enlightening
on describing the great XML futures lying in front of us, I believe their
implementation and mainstream usage may be a little far away. Some of us may
have to solve immediately some tangible issues in the mean time...

As a comment, may I add that most of the discussion so far has been very
server centric. I mean that all use cases for 'in XML compression' seemed to
point to a need for the stream to be entirely decoded by the receiving
entity (which is OK for a server but may not be true for an XMPP routing
device).

Jean-Louis