[Standards-JIG] PubSub efficiency was XMPP bandwidth compression

Jean-Louis Seguineau/EXC/ENG jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com
Mon Jul 5 11:27:33 UTC 2004

Bob,

Actually, I have a partial answer from a citation at your blog:

"The main thing I take from Bob's explanations is that PubSub, along with
being a fine service, is doing a good job of separating interoperability
issues from performance ones, by sticking to XML at the system/web boundary
and leveraging ASN.1 PER internally. That helps reduce XML-Binfoset
controversy to a kerfuffle. PubSub [is] not the only one working along these
lines - Antartica (Tim Bray is on the board) also consumes and produces XML,
but internally converts the markup to structures optimized for the
algorithms required for generating visual maps. Similarity Systems Athanor
allows you to describe data matching plans in XML, but again is converting
to optimized data structures when it comes to making matches. The key
mistake in interop terms seems to be wanting to distort XML to fit the
binary/api worldview or replace it wholesale at the system edges."

Which bodes well with what I was trying to put forward when talking about
optimizing the overall process. You have chosen ASN1 for your own reasons.
Someone else would probably choose otherwise.

But I still welcome additional comments.

Jean-Louis