[Standards-JIG] Relation of JEP-0080: User Geolocation andietf-geopriv?

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Tue Jul 6 10:33:01 UTC 2004

Hi,

yes, I don't like it either.

Section 2.2.1 says something about "coordinate reference systems" and
that from GML 3.0 the "'feature.xsd' GML schema is REQUIRED". This
sounds more like longitude/latitude. But I admit I don't understand the
feature.xsd (attached). It seems to be so general that I can not find
the longitude/latitude aspect.

I don't get the "coordinate reference systems" part. I don't like it. On
the other hand, it's not a good idea for an IETF approved IM protocol to
NOT follow the IETF in pidf-related things. Since Jabber is a strong
community, maybe it's the time to tell the author (or the IESG) that the
draft is not good and even not compatible with JEP-0080. After all its a
request for comments, not yet an RFC.

Note: The author is affiliated with NeuStar, the NANPA (North American
Numbering Plan) Adminstration. Maybe that's the reason that the draft is
biased towards the north american address structure.

This is the itef.org list message:
--------------
The IESG has received a request from the Geographic Location/Privacy WG
consider the following document:

- 'A Presence-based GEOPRIV Location Object Format '
   <draft-ietf-geopriv-pidf-lo-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard

final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
iesg at ietf.org or ietf at ietf.org mailing lists by 2004-07-16.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-pidf-lo-02.txt

GML 3.0:
[OpenGIS, "Open Geography Markup Language (GML) Implementation
Specification", OGC 02-023r4, January 2003,
<http://www.opengis.org/techno/implementation.htm>.]

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf