[Standards-JIG] XMPP bandwidth compression

Jean-Louis Seguineau/EXC/ENG jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com
Wed Jul 7 09:51:25 UTC 2004

Boyd Fletcher wrote
> acutally we are having bandwidth issues with XMPP. Yes it better than
> SIMPLE but compared to IRC there is a considerable difference. In highly
> bandwidth constrained environments ( < 1Kb/s, yes 1024 bits/second),
> XMPP's XML overhead is a significant penalty compared to IRC. In the
> tactical world its not uncommon to have a single 64 Kb/s satellite (e.g.
> INMARSAT) connection over which to run an entire ship's (or army unit's)
> external comms.

My bad, I overlooked this aspect of networking. For someone that initially
started doing wireless communication, this is not a good sign....

In the end it seems you really have a problem to solve that requires some
efficiency improvement on the transport. And you need it soon, not to say
now :)

Jean-Louis