[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0060 (Publish-Subscribe)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Jul 9 11:44:37 UTC 2004

A few more things:

 - The text suggests that implementing subscribing to a node is optional
   (SHOULD). I think this is good, however, it should be a disco feature.
   For example: pubsub#subscribe. This might also cover the support for
   unsubscribing.

 - I see that requesting current affiliations is a MUST. The requirements
   (section 3), don't state this a mandatory feature. I'd say barebones
   implementations don't need this, and this should become a SHOULD. Naturally
   it would become a feature (pubsub#request-affilations).

 - The requesting of the meta-data is a MUST whereas the node discovery via
   disco is a MAY. This is odd. From a security stand, you might want to
   refrain from letting others know of the existence of nodes. Being obliged to
   implement requesting meta-data from nodes enables probing for nodes. Also,
   this is the only MUST that requires support for handling x:data (in this
   case generating it), and is overkill for barebones implementations.

   I think this, also, should be a SHOULD, with the feature pubsub#meta-data
   and should be removed from the requirements in section 3.

 - The Requirements (section 3), has a list of the basic features a pubsub
   service MUST implement. The must is not capitalized, and further, the
   last two bullets are SHOULDs, and should not be in this list.

Comments are welcome, of course.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm