[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0060 (Publish-Subscribe)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Jul 9 14:35:17 UTC 2004

And even more:

 - Section 8.1.3 (Publish an Item to a Node), 3rd paragraph states:

	 In order to facilitate authorization for item removal as shown in the
	 Delete an item from a node section below, implementations which support
	 persistent items SHOULD store the item (if the node is so configured) and
	 maintain a record of the publisher.

   Is this still valid? The changelog mentions that any publisher is now
   allowed to delete items. Section 8.1.4 says:

	 A service SHOULD allow publishers to delete items once they have been
	 published to a node that supports persistent items.

   Section 6 says:

	 Pubsub servers MAY allow any publisher to delete any item once it has been
	 published to that node instead of allowing only the original publisher to
	 remove it.

   Do I understand correctly that an implementation may choose between:

     * Allow publishers to delete an item they published
	 * Allow publishers to delete any item
	 * Disallow publishers to delete any items

   And, if this is indeed up to the implementation, does this need to be
   discoverable and/or is it in the node configuration?

 - I assume the pubsub#persistent-items means:

   * Nodes at this service can be configured to be persistent
   * Items will in fact be stored when published

   It does not mean items can be retrieved using <items/> (section 8.1.10)
   afterwards, so we need a feature for this too. My suggestion:
   pubsub#retrieve-items.

 - Maybe we should make it more explicit for each discoverable feature what
   is covered by it.

 - I assume the features are only returned when discoing the service without
   specifying a node.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm