[Standards-JIG] Use media protocol to pass data out of band to XMPP

gpspilot gpspilot at 163.com
Mon Jul 12 07:01:33 UTC 2004

Considerating the voice and video over jabber network, I browse the archive of maillist and found http://www.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2003-April/002842.html is a good idea about it.

It says :

--For 1), you can use TINS:
--http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hildebrand-xmpp-sdpng-00.txt

--For 2), you *could* use bytestreams, but voice and video really need to be
--isochronous (packets get dropped if they can't be delivered with constant
--latency), so TCP is usually not a great fit.  There are existing media
--protocols that would work, like RTP (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1889.txt).
--For most Jabber servers, you wouldn't want to do this sort of thing in-band,
--because of karma restrictions, XML overhead, and added latency.

--The general approach I'm seeing is:
--- Use TINS to negotiate a media protcol, like RTP
--- Use media protocol to pass data out of band to XMPP
--- Use something like STUN (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3489.txt) for firewall
--traversal

So I manage to add video-audio talk on my jabber client, the first step is to use TINS to negotiate a media protocol I use RTP:

<message
from='A at example.com/work'
to='B at example.com/laptop'
id='tins01'>
<thread>1234 at hostA.example.com</thread>
<tins method='INVITE' xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/tins'>
<sdp xmlns='urn:ietf:rfc:2327'>
v=0
o=A at example.com 98765432 IN IP4 192.168.1.1
s=TINS questions
i=Let's talk about TINS
e=A at example.com
p=+1-303-555-1212
c=IN IP4 192.168.1.1/127
t=3288361865 0
a=recvonly
m=audio 7800 RTP/AVP 0
</sdp>
</tins>
</message>

The second step is "Use media protocol to pass data out of band to XMPP" , how to implement it ? Out of band data is explained at http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0066.html, it use http or ftp or other URI to implement , it we use RTP protocol how to pass data out of band to XMPP?

yang
7-12-2004