[Standards-JIG] Line feeds as delimiters

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Fri Jul 23 14:42:05 UTC 2004

Using line feeds in that manor would IMO be against the standards, also line
feeds are used in some clients and servers in the stanza's that they
transmit and if one of those were to arrive at your clients software and
they were trying to use that as a stanza delimiter it would very likely
crash their software or at the very least (assuming the software is coded to
correctly detect incomplete stanza's) require a disconnect and reconnect, or
just require lots more recovery code than you would have needed if you had
done it properly (i.e. to the standards).

If he does not want to use a SAX parser or the like and wants to build up
the stanza in a string before passing it to the xml parser as a complete DOM
then that code is very easy to write infact I have done it in the past in
C++ in only 46 lines of quite simple code (im sure others have managed to do
it in even less with some better coding).

Richard