[Standards-JIG] Converting a chat session into a conference

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 02:58:16 UTC 2004

JD wrote:
> In an effort to keep clients simple we could also add
> something into MUC to request a new unique room

Yes.

Ralphm wrote:
> > I like the continue addition to the invite.
> Yeah, this is interesting. It would be nice though if the initiator
> would also be able to send the current history of the private chat
> to the conference room so the new participant(s) can also see what
> has been talked about.

Yes, I was thinking about this too. But the protocol would need to be very
compact to avoid triggering karma. I was thinking of something very simple
like this:

<iq from='crone1 at shakespeare.lit/desktop'
    to='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
    type='set'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#owner'>
    <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='submit'/>
    <history>
      <item from='hecate at shakespeare.lit'>Thrice the brinded cat hath
mew'd.</item>
      <item from='crone1 at shakespeare.lit'>Thrice and once the hedge-pig
whined.</item>
      <item from='hecate at shakespeare.lit'>Harpier cries 'Tis time, 'tis
time.</item>
    </history>
  </query>
</iq>

Note that there are no time stamps, and the 'from' attributes are Bare JIDs
(not Room JIDs).