[Standards-JIG] Converting a chat session into a conference

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 11:07:49 UTC 2004

JD wrote:
> In an effort to keep clients simple we could also add
> something into MUC to request a new unique room

On second thoughts, perhaps this is an unnecessary complication to the
protocol, since the client could not use the standard method (a simple
presence stanza) to create the room.

JD wrote:
> In order to make this process more automated a unique
> identifier for the conference room should be generated.
> A GUID, or something based on a hash of the JIDs
> of the original participants would work fine.

Yes, if the hashed text included a timestamp (or a pseudo-random value) as
well as the JIDs, then the 160-bit room ID would certainly be unique enough.

Of course, there is no need to standardise the methods clients use to
generate unique room names.