[Standards-JIG] Re: Standards-JIG Digest, Vol 5, Issue 29

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jul 30 15:46:30 UTC 2004

In article <20040630100536.75C7464589 at hades.jabber.org>,
 "Jean-Louis Seguineau/EXC/ENG" <jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com>
 wrote:

> Peter,
>
> IMHO I believe the issue here is to make XMPP a 'reliable' protocol. We are
> facing entrenched players (IBM, TIBCO, etc...) that are playing the '...
> XMPP is not and industrial grade reliable protocol compared to (insert some
> well known brand here)' game.
>
> There have been separate attempts at bringing some kind of control to the
> way stanzas can be send to multiple recipients (JEP33) can be acted upon
> (JEP79) and how the can be augmented with metadata (JEP131). All this effort
> is going in the right direction, but seen from the outside, does not present
> a united front against the incumbents.
>
> I have the feeling that XMPP would gain a lot if these were regrouped under
> a larger umbrella geared to make XMPP as 'reliable' as the market
> incumbents. I also believe while reading the thread about Pub/Sub that this
> is also a must have.

Sorry for the delayed reply -- I'm just catching up on list traffic.

Perhaps it makes sense to define a "reliable XMPP profile" (via an
Informational JEP) that shows how all these pieces fit together. While
some people seem to want everything to be in one big document, I don't
think that's necessary as long as we clearly spell out exactly how one
would go about using the "atomic" pieces to roll out reliable XMPP,
extended presence, or other such "molecular" system behaviors.

/psa