[Standards-JIG] Converting a chat session into a conference

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 16:04:26 UTC 2004

If you're going to use x:data, use x:data:

<iq from='crone1 at shakespeare.lit/desktop'
   to='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
   type='set'>
 <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#owner'>
   <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='results'/>
      <item>
         <field var='body'><value>Thrice the brinded cat hath
mew'd.</value></field>
      </item>
      <item>
         <field var='body'><value>Thrice and once the hedge-pig
whined.</value></field>
      </item>
      <item>
         <field var='body'><value>Harpier cries 'Tis time, 'tis
time.</value></field>
      </item>
    </x>
 </query>
</iq>

I'm not quite sure how the room is going to generate room nicks from
the JIDs, if the person you are talking with hasn't joined the room
yet, but I'm sure the room could just guess the user portion of the
JID.  You could also add timestamps in as another value, if you
wanted.  They'd have to be UTC, of course...

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:58:16 +0100, Ian Paterson
<ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk> wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > In an effort to keep clients simple we could also add
> > something into MUC to request a new unique room
>
> Yes.
>
> Ralphm wrote:
> > > I like the continue addition to the invite.
> > Yeah, this is interesting. It would be nice though if the initiator
> > would also be able to send the current history of the private chat
> > to the conference room so the new participant(s) can also see what
> > has been talked about.
>
> Yes, I was thinking about this too. But the protocol would need to be very
> compact to avoid triggering karma. I was thinking of something very simple
> like this:
>
> <iq from='crone1 at shakespeare.lit/desktop'
>     to='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
>     type='set'>
>   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#owner'>
>     <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='submit'/>
>     <history>
>       <item from='hecate at shakespeare.lit'>Thrice the brinded cat hath
> mew'd.</item>
>       <item from='crone1 at shakespeare.lit'>Thrice and once the hedge-pig
> whined.</item>
>       <item from='hecate at shakespeare.lit'>Harpier cries 'Tis time, 'tis
> time.</item>
>     </history>
>   </query>
> </iq>
>
> Note that there are no time stamps, and the 'from' attributes are Bare JIDs
> (not Room JIDs).

Joe Hildebrand