[Standards-JIG] Re: Converting a chat session into a conference

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jul 30 17:14:45 UTC 2004

In article
<FOENKLDIMCIMONDFDEMKKEOACEAA.ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk>,
 "Ian Paterson" <ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk> wrote:

> When two people, who have been chatting privately, decide to include another
> person in their discussion, then they must perform several steps in order to
> move the discussion into a conference room. Many users consider these steps
> too complicated.

Why does the user need to be involved? Can't the necessary protocols be
hidden by a smart client, so that the user only has to push the "convert
chat to conference" button or whatever?

> If JEP-45's invite protocol featured the optional new <continue/> element
> defined below, then the process could be automated by the clients.
>
> When an <invite/> that includes a <continue/> element is received, instead
> of opening a new conference window, the client can convert its existing
> private chat window into a conference window and display the previous
> discussion history in the room.
>
> For example, when Hecate's client receives the stanza below it automatically
> converts its Crone1 private chat window into a Darkcave conference window:
>
> <message from='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
>     to='hecate at shakespeare.lit'>
>   <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user'>
>     <invite from='crone1 at shakespeare.lit'>
>       <reason>I'm going to bring Hag66 into this discussion.</reason>
>       <continue/>
>     </invite>
>   </x>
> </message>

How about <continue xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/chat2conf'/> or
whatever? Do we need to modify MUC for this functionality? Though I
suppose that doing this in MUC is not that evil. Perhaps the invite
needs to be from user at host/resource (what happens if I have chats going
with multiple resources)?

Also as mentioned later in the thread, it might be nice to send the
prior (2-person) history to the third person. How to do so, and how much
history to send, may be problematic. Would it be better to "publish" the
history to the room rather than sending it directly from the initiator
to the invitee?

I'll add these issues to my JEP-0045 review list...

/psa