[Standards-JIG] Re: proto-JEP: User Nickname

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue Jun 8 06:11:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 02:24:03AM -0400, Julian Missig wrote:
> No, that's different. The difference is that this is one incredibly
> tiny piece of data. It's a single short string. It just feels to me to
> be a large waste of resources for that to be the *only* thing
> transmitted with all this pub/sub overhead. There are probably quite a
> few bits of data we would want to transmit just as much as a nickname
> that we could put together with it, I just don't know what that correct
> combination is right now.

IMHO this should be combined with other vCard information and maybe
other metadata. Sending too much together will not be a problem if the
protocol is good and allows selective requests (subscriptions) and
partial responses.  But this might be not posible with pubsub. Maybe
there is still some time to to try to improve pubsub a bit?

Greets,
	Jacek