[Standards-JIG] PubSub.com's Use of JEP-0060

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Tue Jun 8 07:49:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 05:04:12PM -0400, Bob Wyman wrote:
>        I have placed a document which describes how we're using JEP-0060 at
> PubSub.com at:
> http://pubsub.com/bobwyman/pubsub_xmpp.html . This may be useful
> understanding some of my recent comments on both the JDev and Standards-JIG
> lists.

Interesting. I'll definitely will have a look at this.

> 	To date, syndication via RSS and Atom has been done exclusively
> using polling protocols. This has resulted in a tremendous waste of network
> resources as well as significant delays in the delivery of what is sometimes
> very time critical information. My hope is that by using Jabber/XMPP and
> other similar streaming protocols, we'll be able to bring the concept of
> "near real-time" into the world of content syndication.

Well, this is not entirely true. I've been working on Mimir [1] on and off for
about 2 years now, and I share most of your ideas as you might have read in my
blog [2].

I do share the opinion of others here that we should fully utilise the existing
Jabber installed base, though. In my view, news providers might run their
own pubsub service, and we utilise the Jabber network for quickly distributing
news notifications, using hierarchies of pubsub repeaters.

Keep up the good work.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm