[Standards-JIG] NEW: Message Archiving

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue Jun 8 10:06:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:22:29AM -0700, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > Picture a situation where I'm chatting with you from /work, and then
> > I get off in the middle in order to get on /mobile, where I continue
> > chatting with you, and finally, arriving at /home, we finish up our
> > conversation there.  (Never say never, eh?)
>
> I'm aware of this, but I didn't think the various chats should be part of the
> same collection.

This is a one chat. Many of my real-life Jabber chats look like this
-- started at work, continued at home and even in home I am sometimes
moving between my desktop computer and a laptop. I would expect
server-side message archiving would help me complete a single chat
history from all those fragmens and not make things worse.

> Currently, the above scenario would result in 3 separate
> chat interfaces (you with obviously 3 clients, and me with 3 different chat
> windows under one client), and 3 different <thread> values.

The <thread> values would be different only if one of clients used is
broken or the "moving" participant always initiates each chat part. This
is not true in most of my "moving" chats.

> Fine, but we should at least have a "type" attribute that would provide some
> guarantees:
>  1) if type=muc, all jids have the same bare jid
>  2) if type=chat, there are only two jids in the whole collection

Why not just use standard XMPP message types? "groupchat", "chat",
"message" and "headline". What more do we need?

Greets,
	Jacek