[Standards-JIG] JEP-45: configuring members-only

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Sun Jun 13 11:22:19 UTC 2004

JEP-45 does not make it clear to me how to configure a room to be
'members-only'.

My best guess is that the room should be configured with
muc#owner_inviteonly set (invitation required to enter) AND with
muc#owner_allowinvites not set (since the JEP states that "invitation
privileges in members-only rooms SHOULD be restricted to room admins")?

I'm going to stick my neck out and make a suggestion before I understand the
intention of the author:

The invite-only concept is useful outside of members-only rooms, but the
muc#owner_allowinvites variable is not. Perhaps everything would be far more
clear (from a client developer's perspective at least) if the
muc#owner_allowinvites variable was depricated in favor of a new
muc#owner_membersonly variable? Thanks to data forms, this shouldn't break
existing implementations.

- Ian