[Standards-JIG] Reason for subscription/unsubscription

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue Jun 15 12:31:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 02:17:12PM +0200, CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN wrote:
> There seemed to be in the past a way to provide a reason for
> subscription/unsubscription using the <status> tag. However, in XMPP-IM,
> it is stated that it should only be allowed for historical reasons:
[...]
> I am not very concerned about being "historical" unless it gets
> deprecated soon, so:
> - Is there a more up-to-date way to specify a reason for
> subscription/unsubscription ?
> - Has someone plans to define something ?

The "reason" may be (and IMHO _will_be_ if still supported by clients)
abused by spammers. Messages for unknown people may be easily blocked
using privacy list, but blocking "reasons" (for spammers they
are no worse than regular messages) is not possible without blocking all
subscription requests.

Even if <status/> is not allowed in <presence/> reason of a request may
be sent in separate <message/> -- the recipient will choose if he wants
messages from people not in his roster or not.

Greets,
	Jacek