[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060: Current discussions re subID, Subscription Options, and SHIM use in PubSub Messages

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Wed Jun 16 20:08:03 UTC 2004

Ralph Meijer wrote:
> Wouldn't supplying an 'acceptable' <options/> element initially, and
> altering the options after approval not kind of defeat this
> 'advantage'?
	It would. However, I expect that we'll need to add support for
approving changes to some options in the future.

> I am a bit sceptic about the approach of adding additional elements
> inside an item.
	If you know of an alternative method of allowing a server to say
that a single copy of an item satisfies multiple subscriptions, please
propose it. In content-based systems, it is *very* normal for people to have
multiple overlapping subscriptions to a single topic or node. The bandwidth
savings that result from using this feature are very, very significant and,
I think, very much worth the added complexity.

		bob wyman