[Standards-JIG] JEP-45: Revoking room privileges

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 18:48:30 UTC 2004

Hi Dave,

I understand your vision of things, but believe it introduces unnecessary
functional limitations.

Clearly there must always be at least one owner. However, I don't believe
the author of JEP-0045 intended to prevent the ownership privileges of the
room creator being revoked. There are many situations where a simple
transfer of responsibility for a room is desirable.

I also don't understand the need to prevent a user from revoking their own
ownership privileges. Again, there are scenarios where this would be very
useful.

I am interested to understand the reasons you would like to add these
restrictions to JEP-0045 (especially since you are the developer of the most
important implementation of the JEP).

Below is an alternative approach that *might* meet your needs. It adds
functionality to the JEP instead of removing it:

Perhaps your implementation could be changed to make a specifed System Admin
the 'creator' of all rooms? The first person to try to enter a non-existent
room could then be a normal owner (the 'initial' owner currently defined in
the JEP). The System Admin would appear in the list of owners, but his/her
ownership privileges could not be revoked by other owners. The ownership
privileges of the initial owner could be revoked (even by themselves).

This would require two new implementation notes to be added to the JEP:
1. An implementation MAY specify a list of Service Admins that are owners of
all rooms.
2. An implementation MAY specify a list of Service Admins from whom room
ownership cannot be revoked within the scope of this JEP.

The JEP would also need to specify the error message for trying to revoke
ownership privileges from a Service Admin. (It also needs to specify the
error for trying to revoke ownership privileges from the only owner).

Could this help?

Regards,

Ian