[Standards-JIG] JEP-45: Revoking room privileges

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 08:43:35 UTC 2004

> Surely a room transfer is done by promoting your
> sucessor and they demoting you in return.

Yes. But it is also important that one user could perform both steps:

- For humans this is easier because it requires less co-ordination.

- It also allows the process to be performed automatically by a single
client. (I already described to you off-list one situation where my client
needs to do this without human intervention.)

If you are not the only owner, why shouldn't you be allowed to demote
yourself?

> The 'one owner' rule becomes a stumbling block because
> you hit situations where you are the only owner in a
> room and want to step down - you are effective banned.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand this point.

I forgot to make something clear in the alternative proposal: Service Admins
would not be able to remove their own ownership privileges within the scope
of the JEP. An implementation could set its own rule that "there must always
be at least one Service Admin", therefore normal owners would *always* be
allowed to demote themselves.

> There is/was going to be a JEP for Service extensions

Great :)