[Standards-JIG] Reason for subscription/unsubscription

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN david.corvoysier at francetelecom.com
Thu Jun 24 14:53:46 UTC 2004

OK, since this discussion is getting nowhere I will try to better
describe the use case that motivated my question.

Romeo and juliet meet in the orchard. Juliet has to go, but since she
uses IM, she tells romeo her JID: romanticlove at jabber.com.

Romeo creates an IM account, mightylion at jabber.org, and tries to
subscribe to juliet's presence.

Juliet, who is a rather shy person, has a rule that prevents people from
sending her messages when they are not in her roster.
She receives romeo's presence subscribe and refuses it because she
doesn't know him.

End of the story: shakespeare is now mad at us because we ruined his
piece by not providing reason for subscription !

Now, I don't say that the <status> field must be used to add that
information, I only say that we need to find a way to have that reason
provided along with the subscription request, knowing that a separate
message may be blocked and that vcard information is not guaranteed
(most people are very reluctant to expose their real name and address).
So, if anybody has a better solution, I would be glad to read it.

David CORVOYSIER

PS: I am far from being convinced by the SPAM issue that has been raised
because, as it has been said before you can blacklist sub spammers and
prevent them for sending further subs, and besides that even without a
reason, subs alone could be used for SPAM.