[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060: Comments on latest draft.

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Fri Jun 25 23:03:28 UTC 2004

Boyd Fletcher wrote:
> I believe JBI is using Sun's Java Messaging Service PubSub API
> which isn't proprietary
	Sun's JMS API *is* proprietary. It is defined by Sun. It is *not*
the result of an open process and its definition is controlled by a single
vendor.
	Also, JMS only specifies a programming interface. It does not
specify a transport protocol. The result is that virtually every JMS
implementation uses its own protocol to move stuff below the API. The result
is a lack of interoperation between JMS implementations by different vendors
-- unless you build in gateways. Thus, using JMS, you might be able to move
code between two implementations -- but you often can't move messages.
	It would be useful to define an XMPP API so that we could have an
alternative to Sun's proprietary JMS API...
	In any case, the JBI stuff is supposed to be based on CAPI[1] which
is usually layered on JMS.

> The biggest problem we are having at the moment is the bandwidth
> utilization of XMPP is higher than IRC so we are looking at ways
> to compress XMPP packets.
	This is a general issue that plagues every high-volume XML based
system. The "solution" to the problem may come from the W3C's "binary XML"
investigations. At PubSub.com we mitigate these problems by converting all
the XML to a highly efficient and highly compressed binary format which is
defined by ASN.1. We use binary internally. We only use XML in external
interfaces.

		bob wyman

[1] http://www.infospherics.org/api/CAPIv1_0/javadocs/