[Standards-JIG] Re: AMP & deliver condition

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jun 28 15:39:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:04:25 -0700, Justin Karneges wrote:

> In the past, I discussed the Jabber "black hole" problem:
>
>   http://www.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2003-December/004589.html
>
> It appears as though AMP might be able to solve some of the issues.
>
> 1) Can the deliver condition be used so that a client knows his sent
> message at least reached his own server (first hop) ?
>
> 2) Can the deliver condition be used by a server to a client, so that the
> last server in the chain knows if his client received it?
>
> 3) Can the deliver condition be used for full end-to-end acking, as a
> replacement for JEP-0022?

Exactly what problem are we trying to solve here? Assurance that a message
was (1) received by a client or application, (2) displayed to a user,
or (3) actually read by a user or processed by an application? To me, it
seems that *perhaps* we're trying to use (1) or (2) as a proxy for (3).
But my client could affirm that (1) and (2) happened, yet I still never
read the message because the BSOD intervened or somesuch.

Just wondering...

/psa