[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060: Comments on latest draft.

David Waite mass at akuma.org
Mon Jun 28 20:42:17 UTC 2004

On Jun 28, 2004, at 2:34 PM, Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:18:07 +0200, Ralph Meijer
> <jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 03:03:31PM -0400, Stephen Pendleton wrote:
>>> Just FYI: TLS compression would work, but doesn't exist on some
>>> platforms
>>> currently (Windows Mobile, PocketPC, Smartphones, etc). I am not
>>> sure about
>>> other non-Unix non-Win32 platforms. I have been hoping that a server
>>> developer could offer some solution to this issue at some point.
>>
>> I'm confused. If TLS is not available, but other server side
>> solutions would be
>> implementable (surely you'd need something on the client side as
>> well), why not
>> just write a TLS implementation?
>
> An XML specific compression scheme could get you much better
> compression rates than TSL.

Such as? There are no XML-specific compression schemes that I know of,
let alone ones which will work on document fragments and not 'true'
documents.

And while they 'could' provide better compression, I doubt that the
difference would be significant enough to warrant requiring people to
write a compression algorithm impl, vs. using the readily available, or
perhaps even built into the (TLS) socket implementation.

-David Waite