FW: [Standards-JIG] JEP-0060: Comments on latest draft.

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Mon Jun 28 21:07:59 UTC 2004

Boyd Fletcher wrote:
>> 	Append and overwrite=false both require that the server
>> remember all itemIDs that have been seen in the past. I can't
> no they don't. they only are required to know about any currently
> published IDs (which they would have to know anyways).
	What is a "currently published ID" and why would a server be
required to know this "anyways"? Are only thinking about the case of
persistent items? Are you thinking that "currently published" means items
that are still in the persistent store and haven't been deleted? If so, are
you saying that even if "overwrite=false" it is ok to reuse itemIDs that
have fallen out of the persistent store? What do I do with nodes that aren't
configured for persistence? What do I do with nodes that store the "last
1,000" messages and don't want to issue a delete notification for every
message that drops out of the store? We're writing a spec here that handles
a broad range of requirements... It can't be compromised by just one of a
number of equally valid ways to run a pubsub server. (i.e. with persistence,
without persistence, etc.)

		bob wyman