[Standards-JIG] Reason for subscription/unsubscription

David Yitzchak Cohen lists+jabber_standards at bigfatdave.com
Fri Jun 18 23:25:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 02:30:17AM EDT, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:22:58PM +0200, CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN wrote:

> > > Why would one want a subscription/unsubscription reason for?
> >
> > Maybe to explain who you really are, because a JID is not enough,
> > especially if you have thousands of registered users with joe111-like
> > usernames ... I have personnally several times denied subscriptions to
> > relatives because I did'nt recognize them.
>
> They could send you a <message/> describing who they are, or use other
> means to tell you they will try to subscribe to your presence.
>
> E.g.:
>
> <message from="unknown person" to="you">
> </message>
> <presence type="subscribe" from="unknown person" to="you"/>
>
> This is unusable for spammers to "workaround" message from unknown
> source blocking.

Sadly, it's also unusable for relatives to workaround message from
unknown source blocking.

> If you don't want messages from unknown people then you probably don't
> want to receive presece "reasons" containing messages for you.

That's flawed reasoning: just because you don't want to have messages
from people you don't know to pop up, doesn't mean you don't want some
way of finding out who wants to subscribe to your presence.  An advantage
of identifying that text as a reason for subscription (what it actually
is) gives SPAM-fighting clients some more tools to work with in their
attempts to block SPAM, since it gives them some context.

> And
> presence reasons _will_ be used to "workaround" message blocking i they
> are available.

Of course they will ... and smart clients are going to continue the
cat-and-mouse game.  However, I've already shown that the mice won't
shrivel away just because the cat gets meaner; they'll simply get
stronger.

Just another cent and a half,
 - Dave

Please visit this link: