[Standards-JIG] message events in MUC

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Wed Jun 30 21:50:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:38:07 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>
wrote:

> Fixing something else in JEP-0045 just now, I noticed that the business
> rules prohibit a client from sending JEP-0020 message events (no mention
> of JEP-0085 chat state notifications) through a groupchat room. Do people
> think this is right? Loosening this seems fine with me.
>
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0045.html#bizrules-message
>
> This raises the issue of JEP-0020 vs. JEP-0085, but that's a can of worms
> we might not want to open right now...

I think it could be very usefull to see who is typing and who is not in a
groupchat. That way you can wait with your reply is you see someone is
still typing (I'd say it could be even more usefull than in 1-on-1 chat in
some cases).

Are there good reasons why JEP-0020 can not be used for this? Could
JEP-0085 handle this more efficiently?

Any blocking of such things because it could cost too much bandwith seems
very implementation specific to me, not material to put in a spec. using
the word MUST.