[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0049 (Private XML Storage)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue Mar 2 13:57:56 UTC 2004

> How would Pub/Sub allow me to store a large set of files on a server,
> and retrieve them using a client?

By providing a more appropriate framework to build such a system on.

> Ideally I would like to be able to use Private Storage for things like a
> Roaming Profile, my personal set of RSS feeds, a wide number of
> application settings, and a basic file store. The basic idea here being
> something akin to file system access, but done in a standard way through
> a client.

Private storage is not intended to work quite like this IMO, it is for
storing a retreiving specific xml information appropriate to the user, it is
not designed to be accessable if you do not know beforehand what namespaces
you are looking for information in, this prevents clients that dont know how
to handle a particular namespace from doing any damage to the data stored
under that namespace in private storage, since if they dont know about the
namespace to request it in the first place they have no business accessing
that data.

Plus you need to bear in mind that if people start storing large amounts of
data into private storage I would expect that server operators would start
introducing quota limits of private storage which if it becomes full will
cause all sorts of problems for other clients trying to utilise it more
appropriately.

> Is private storage the wrong mechanism to build features like these on?

Private storage is fine for application settings and various other xml
documents related to the client (which AFAIK is what it was intended for),
but IMO its not really appropriate for a basic general file store.

Richard