[Standards-JIG] SIP jep?

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN david.corvoysier at francetelecom.com
Tue Mar 9 13:34:45 UTC 2004

Hi all,

The name of XMPP "a-la-SIP" is TINS. The JEP author is Joe Hildebrand.

I lead a project last year that implemented TINS to enable VoIP between XMPP and SIP clients.
Here my thoughts about TINS and the project:

 http://www.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2004-January/004665.html

To summarize:
- If you guys want to interact with SIP or H323 clients or equipments, I would recommend you to stick to using OOB messages to open a parallel H323 or SIP channel (it would save you the cost of a very tricky-to-implement gateway),
- If you just want to do VoIP between two XMPP clients, you would probably want something simpler than TINS, and more "jabber-ish" (For instance: disco can be used to advertize for codecs and bandwidth, and you can just send an OOB to specify the RTP IP/Port you will use ... It won't work for all applications, but it's ok for basic VoIP).

Hope this helps.

David.