[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0100 (Gateway Interaction)

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Wed Mar 10 03:46:34 UTC 2004

Since you brought it up anyhow Peter, I figure I'd object to the
language in Section 6 with regard to MSN addresses. Specifically, I
don't like the use of '%' as documented, because it introduces the need
to do really stupid things like JEP-106. We should just do the right
thing and allow the use of standard URI encoding on JIDs. I still think
some characters ('@', '/', '<', etc) should not be allowed in JIDs,
even when escaped, but I think it's silly that we're planning on
creating a URI scheme for JIDs and won't be supporting standard URI
encoding.

I, personally, could care less about breaking compatibility with legacy
MSN transports. It would be a fairly quick and simple task to migrate
users using the legacy substitution to a newer and better system. The
side effect of this change is that we can (hopefully) avoid this sort
of stupid nonsense again in the future.

My $.02.

bs.