[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0100 (Gateway Interaction)

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Wed Mar 10 15:42:34 UTC 2004

On Mar 10, 2004, at 4:04 AM, Paul Curtis wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 9, 2004, at 10:46  PM, Ben Schumacher wrote:
>> I, personally, could care less about breaking compatibility with
>> legacy MSN transports. It would be a fairly quick and simple task to
>> migrate users using the legacy substitution to a newer and better
>> system. The side effect of this change is that we can (hopefully)
>> avoid this sort of stupid nonsense again in the future.
>
> SInce it affects more than just the MSN transport, I disagree.
> Documenting how it is should done is better than changing it because
> you don't like it.

What else does it affect? While I understand that the substitution is a
fairly simple solution to a known problem, the fact that we end up with
JID escaping as a side effect makes it absolutely brain dead. JID
escaping is a ugly solution to a problem that's already been solved,
but we (Jabber users) slap this 'legacy support' term on '%'
substitution and say that it has to be this way. That's stupid. Aren't
we all working on XMPP so that we no longer have to have 'legacy
support' of the consumer IM systems?

This is a band-aid type problem. If we rip it off right now, it'll hurt
a lot for a little while, but in the end we will be happy sooner. If we
try to slowly remove it, it's still going to hurt and we're going to
have to deal with that fact for the rest of our life as XMPP users.

bs.