[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0100 (Gateway Interaction)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 10 18:52:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 09:49, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 05:45:29PM +0100, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> > Couldn't we just go and push using %nn escaping, while also trying to support
> > the old use of %?
>
> Certainly because none of the stuff following % as it is currently
> used (msn.example.com, icq.example.com, yahoo.example.com, aim.example.com)
> is in the [0-9a-f] range.

My understanding is that your MSN address can be user at host where the
host part is not limited to msn.com but could be any valid domain. So
let's say that your domain name is 2f.com; now the old-style % escaping
results in a JID of user%2f.com at msn.example.com -- which is potentially
problematic because %2f maps to ' in the %hexhex escaping recommended by
RFC 2718, no? But we don't mean user@'.com we mean user at 2f.com. And so
it goes...

And then of course there is the real world: who is planning to write
code for msn-t? ;-)