[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0100 (Gateway Interaction)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Mar 11 10:14:16 UTC 2004

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:52:50AM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > My understanding is that your MSN address can be user at host where the
> > host part is not limited to msn.com but could be any valid domain. So
> > let's say that your domain name is 2f.com; now the old-style % escaping
> > results in a JID of user%2f.com at msn.example.com -- which is potentially
> > problematic because %2f maps to ' in the %hexhex escaping recommended by
> > RFC 2718, no?
>
> If the JID "user%2f.com at msn.example.com" is to be used in URL it should
> be properly escaped, so it is: "xmpp:user%252f.com at msn.example.com"
> If some software fails to properly escape/unescape this, then it is
> a but in that software, not in the protocol. If '%' is not widely used
> in JIDs, then the bug would be noticed/fixed later, but it would still
> be there.
>
> IMHO there is nothing wrong in using '%' in JIDs. However I don't think
> it is OK to say in JEP-100 that it SHOULD/MUST by anything. This is just
> an implementation choice.

I would say that it is far better to say the JID MUST use standard URI
encoding, so that implementations will be forced to update to the new
official standard (which this will become), so that in clients we can
reliably decode the transport addresses to work out what the address on the
legacy network the JID represents so we can be far more user friendly and
display user at hotmail.com rather than the current
user%hotmail.com at msn.jabber.org which is not user friendly at all, it also
means using standard URI encoding that existing code bases and decoding
algo's can be reused, and that illegal characters other than @ can be safely
decoded from transport JID's and represented correctly.

Richard