[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0100 (Gateway Interaction)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Thu Mar 11 10:35:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 10:14:16AM -0000, Richard Dobson wrote:
> I would say that it is far better to say the JID MUST use standard URI
> encoding, so that implementations will be forced to update to the new
> official standard (which this will become), so that in clients we can
> reliably decode the transport addresses to work out what the address on the
> legacy network the JID represents so we can be far more user friendly and
> display user at hotmail.com rather than the current
> user%hotmail.com at msn.jabber.org which is not user friendly at all, it also
> means using standard URI encoding that existing code bases and decoding
> algo's can be reused, and that illegal characters other than @ can be safely
> decoded from transport JID's and represented correctly.

JID is not an URI. JID is a Unicode string. JID may be represented as
URI - then it must mu URI-encoded.

'%' is a valid JID character (in node or resource parte) without any
special meaning. In URI it is a prefix of encoded character.
'@' is not allowed in JID node. URI-encoding it doesn't change anything.

We don't want to require JID to be URI-encoded, because most Unicode
characters would not be readable. And using URI-encoding in XML streams,
which can transport Unicode strings safely seems not worth doing it.

To display gatewayed addresses in human-readable form we just need a new
protocol - reversed jabber:iq:gateway. jabber:iq:gateway works well
changing legacy network identifiers into gateway addresses.

Greets,
	Jacek