[Standards-JIG] media conferencing, flow segmenting

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN david.corvoysier at francetelecom.com
Mon Mar 15 10:40:50 UTC 2004

> I'd prefer to use a XMPP equivalent. "Related to SIP" means the
> functionality of this step is the same as the SIP functionality.

Ok. TINS was a first attempt, a bit too "SIPish" in my opinion (with big
respect to Joe's job). Whatever solution be chosen, the basic concepts
should be the same, so let's start from that and see what we can do ...

> I thought SIP just does the calling (RINGING, ACK, EOT) and transmits
> upon accepted call an SDP chunk?

No: the SDP chunk is embedded in the call INVITE. The called party can
then select the chosen media and reply with a modified SDP in the OK
response.

> No protocol support for directly moving from 1-2-1 to MMUC, though a
> client may support automatic renegotiation.

It is surely simpler that way.

> What's more important is the question whether ignoring existing JEPs
> helps in writing a new JEP as a solution for MMUC ban, MMUC kick,
> 1-2-1/MMUC quota exceeded.

I think you can use the existing MUC ban and kick features (actually the
whole MUC protocol can be used as is IMHO if you just embed your call
signalling in message sanzas like in TINS).

Could you explain a bit further the quota-exceeded feature ?

David.