[Standards-JIG] media conferencing, flow segmenting

Ulrich Staudinger us at die-horde.de
Mon Mar 15 14:50:30 UTC 2004

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN wrote:

>I think you can use the existing MUC ban and kick features (actually the
>whole MUC protocol can be used as is IMHO if you just embed your call
>signalling in message sanzas like in TINS).

I just revisited the MUC protocol, it really makes sense to extend the
MUC protocol in some cases (i.e. the disco return, form for room
creation) and stick to most functionality in other cases (i.e. banning,
general room creation).

I think the bridge between mmuc and muc is the biggest problem. How can
we for example propagate a multimedia session along a text session?
Going through the join message is just a work around which does not feel
acceptable to me. I'd like to have some enhanced features in the current
muc jep, which allows propagation or advanced or special features.
Somehow we of course need to hook the mmuc into the underlying muc - i
don't speak of forwarding muc commands to the mmuc component.

i imagine something like

<iq type='result'
    from='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
    to='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'
    id='disco3'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'>
    <identity
        category='conference'
        type='text'
        name='A Dark Cave'/>
    <feature var='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc'/>
    <feature var='muc_passwordprotected'/>
    <feature var='muc_hidden'/>
    <feature var='muc_temporary'/>
    <feature var='muc_open'/>
    <feature var='muc_unmoderated'/>
    <feature var='muc_nonanonymous'/>
	<feature var='mmuc'/>
  </query>
</iq>

upon entering this room the room then sends some jids which should get discoed as well (i.e. similiar to join messages).

I already sent another mail to the list which awaits moderation. i commented on the complete muc already,
but am not sure if the moderator will reject the post ;-).

ulrich