[Standards-JIG] media conferencing, flow segmenting

Ulrich Staudinger us at die-horde.de
Mon Mar 15 15:01:47 UTC 2004

please see http://avtaskforce.jabberstudio.org/mmuc.html as well.

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN wrote:

>OK, now I understand the quotas thing ...
>
>Here are some ideas for the disruptive case you mentioned ...
>
>Note first that for a given conference there might be several
>"disruptive" server behaviors:
>- the quota applies only to the conference creator (conference is closed
>when the owner has exceeded his quota),
>- each participant has a quota (only those who have exceeded their quota
>are kicked),
>- there is a quota per conference (conference is closed when the quota
>has exceeded).

ok

>Anyway, for any of these mechanisms, I think you can use the MUC
>protocol:
>
>-> you can provide a reason in the presence unavailable stanza that is
>sent when kicking someone or when destroying a conference
>
><presence
>    from='harfleur at henryv.shakespeare.lit/pistol'
>    to='pistol at shakespeare.lit/harfleur'
>    type='unavailable'>
>  <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user'>
>    <item affiliation='none' role='none'>
>      <actor jid='fluellen at shakespeare.lit'/>
>      <reason>You have exceeded your quota</reason>
>    </item>
>    <status code='307'/>
>  </x>
></presence>

interesting approach. seems reasonable. however i am not sure about the
presence anyway - is it reasonable for a user to actually request to
join a mmuc through sending presence? what should we return in exchange?
a request for media session negotation - when speaking in terms of
calling - should the server simply 'call' the client in exchange and the
client will automatically accept the call?

>-> you can always reject conference creation by sending a presence type
>error with appropriate code and optionnal text
>
><presence
>    from='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit/thirdwitch'
>    to='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'
>    type='error'>
>  <error code='405' type='cancel'>
>    <not-allowed
>        xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/>
>	<text xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'>You have
>exceeded your quota</text>
>  </error>
></presence>
>
>-> similarly, you can prevent someone from entering a conference and
>specify a text in the error
>
><presence
>    from='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
>    to='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'
>    type='error'>
>  <error code='403' type='auth'>
>    <forbidden
>        xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/>
>	<text xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'>You have
>exceeded your quota</text>
>  </error>
></presence>
>
>Of course, these are only suggestions (especially the error codes: I
>would have preferred something more consistent, ie the same code for all
>cases).
>
>For the notification case, we would need something like a presence
>type="warning" (augh! Ugly ! ... it may sound terrible to stpeter ;-) ),
>or just a message with a special warning tag embedded ...
>I don't know if such a concept already exists in Jabber ...
>
><message
>    from='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
>    to='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda' id='first_reminder'>
>  <warning xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/mmuc#warning'>
>    <quota-exceeded/>
>    <text xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'>You have exceeded
>your quota</text>
>  </warning>
></presence>
>
>This could be used for other kind of warnings:
>- your connection generates too many errors,
>- your latency time is too high (is it relevant for multimedia ?),
>- you use a deprecated encoding scheme,
>- server restart in x minutes
>
>Again, these are only ideas ...
>
>Sorry for the long post.

for me long posts are ok, as long as they are clear.