[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Mar 16 05:01:26 UTC 2004

I have completed an editorial review of JEP-0030 (Service Discovery);
the changelog for version 1.1 is as follows:

   Described requirements, syntax, and use cases in a more formal
   manner; corrected several errors in the examples and schemas;
   defined Jabber Registrar procedure for features; added a number
   of references; specified XMPP error handling. (psa)

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0030.html

I see at least one outstanding issue with this JEP: it seems to me that
inclusion of the 'name' attribute in disco#items results is contrary to
the spirit of the JEP, since it requires a parent to know something more
than just the JID of a child node.

Also, someone mentioned to me off-list that it would be nice to include
an OPTIONAL time-to-live attribute on service discovery results so that
the requesting entity knows approximately how long to cache results.

Thoughts?

Jabber Software Foundation