[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 14:08:00 UTC 2004

On Monday Jacek wrote:
> When we have no information in disco#items result but the JID/node, that
> we need in most cases query all of the nodes with disco#info - making
> a lot of unneccessary trafic. When the name is given, than user can
> choose element he wants to know something more about. IMHO 'name'
> attribute should stay.

I strongly agree with both these ideas. :)

IMHO each disco#items request should be able to indicate the level of detail
it requires in the results. The default level (for 'ignorant' clients) would
be just the JID (no name). The 'verbose' level would include the name and
any other information that differentiates the service (e.g. the number of
occupants in a MUC room). This would allow 'knowledgable' clients to avoid
unneccessary traffic, latency and complexity.

- Ian