[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Tue Mar 16 23:42:54 UTC 2004

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Most JEPs only support Disco. ;) Of course we don't want two discovery
> methods.

You are not following my point. If I have a HUGE muc installation, my server
should NOT ALLOW clients to do disco#items and have it return ALL of the rooms.
disco#info against the server would show that it supports jabber:iq:search, and
my client can use that to find rooms the user is interested in. AFAIK, JEP-45
does not MANDATE that clients can disco to get an entire list of the rooms.

Returning smaller sets of data from a huge sample size is exactly what
jabber:iq:search is for.. AND it already allows you use jabber:x:data to embed
whatever information you want into the results to avoid the iq-flood problem you
describe.

Disco should tell me what the server does/supports. It doesn't NECESSARILY have
to allow me to drill down the internal hierarchy of the system.

Another example.. JUD components do not allow me to use disco to discover
eveyone in the directory.

pgm.