{Spam?} RE: [Standards-JIG] Re: UPDATED: JEP-0027 (Current Jabber OpenPGP Usage)

Hal Rottenberg hal at halr9000.com
Wed Mar 17 00:06:48 UTC 2004

> > > What if the sending client's clock isn't set correctly?

> >  We could remove the time checking entirely,  but then
> keeping track
> > of all those IDs would probably be more painful to  implementations
> > than just maintaining a correct clock. :)
>
> Sure, but that's not the way it works for my mother who's
> computer is on a dialup and a hardware-clock that goes crazy.
> (This is a real
> situation)

FYI, Windows starting with 2000 (or perhaps it was XP) has an "Internet
Time" feature that is on by default.  It syncs to default to an NTP server
of Microsoft's (time.windows.com).  No, not everyone has one of these later
OS's (later being a relative term of course), but as time goes on (how
punny!) this problem of not being to rely on workstation time will lessen.

Hal Rottenberg
jabber:  hal at jabber.rocks.cc
   AIM:  halr9000