[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 00:19:42 UTC 2004

> Returning smaller sets of data from a huge sample size is
> exactly what jabber:iq:search is for.. AND it already
> allows you use jabber:x:data to embed whatever information
> you want into the results

Great. That would do it. :)

It's just that JEP-55 gave me a very clear impression that jabber:iq:search
is now only supposed to be used for JUD, and that it will be depricated
soon. I have carefully avoided using it for anything except JUD.

> AFAIK, JEP-45 does not MANDATE that clients can disco
> to get an entire list of the rooms.

JEP-45 does not even mention jabber:iq:search exists. :(

Perhaps we need to add something to JEP-45 to make things clear? Even if it
is only to mention that although jabber:iq:search should currently be used
to obtain a smaller set of rooms, it will be superseded by an upcoming
standards-track protocol.

Thanks again for your attention to this.

- Ian